Fire claims home of Macon family
MACON — At 12:49 a.m. Tuesday, July 24, a fire of unknown origin broke out at the home of Warren Schafer at 10340 Ford Highway in Macon Township. Firefighters from the Ridgeway Township Fire Department responded, assisted by departments from Tecumseh, Clinton and Raisin Township.
“I would call it a total loss,” said Ridgeway Township Fire Chief Jim Frayer.
Frayer said the fire began in an upstairs bedroom of the home. Schafer said no one was upstairs at the time the fire began.
Once the fire started in the older farmhouse it spread through the walls very quickly, Frayer said. The second story had the greatest amount of fire damage, but smoke and water devastated the first floor of the home.
Firefighters faced a greater challenge when the electrical line to the home burned off and bounced around the front yard, scorching the grass and creating a hazardous situation. Schafer said Edison came out quickly and shut off the line.
The fire was contained and did not affect the neighboring house belonging to Paul and Sally Schafer, parents of Warren Schafer. With dry conditions and strong winds, fire crews responded two more times on Thursday when the fire rekindled.
Three Red Cross volunteers responded to the call, and provided food, lodging and clothing to Schafer’s family.
“I guess it hasn’t sunk in yet,” Schafer said as he looked at the remains of his home. “They say it can be rebuilt.”