Health care costs topic of special council meeting
Tecumseh City Council will be conducting business at least once more in December, before the start of a New Year. At the Monday, Dec. 16 meeting, Tecumseh City Manager Kevin Welch asked for a special meeting on Monday, Dec. 23, at 6:30 p.m. to discuss Public Act 152, which is related to employee health care costs. Last year, the council passed a resolution to opt out of Public Act 152, prior to the new year, in order to prevent different employees paying different amounts based on hire dates.
The council members also adopted a resolution approving an amendment to the city’s contract with the Michigan Department of Transportation for the M-50 construction project. There were cost overruns of $13,484 on the work, which involved adding a new turn lane and a new entrance for Van-Rob Corporation.
The city’s total portion of the project is now estimated to be $56,641, however Van-Rob will be reimbursing the city for their portion of the match.
“Even though the project is over and done with, it did incur additional cost above the contract, and in order to allow this, we need to sign an amendment to the contract with MDOT,” said Welch. “Even at $56,641, it’s less than we initially thought it was going to be.”
In other business, council members:
• Noted in Welch’s city manager’s report that Tecumseh’s second biggest well stopped pumping water in November and needed emergency repairs, which were taken care of. Initial estimates for the repair ranges from $6,400 to $16,000.
• Approved the Kenya Dig It run/walk for July 5, 2014, beginning at Tecumseh High School.
• Appointed Mickey Alvarado and Chuck Gross to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board, on 7-0 votes for terms expiring April 2018.
• Went into closed session to discuss labor negotiations regarding city employees.
• Heard kudos from Welch for city crews that had to repeatedly plow city streets during a snowstorm over the weekend. “We fortunately have a very dedicated crew of employees who get the job done,” said Welch.